Pages

Saturday 23 April 2011

Black Park parkrun - 5km Time Trial

Ok so it has taken me a while to get round to this one.

Having only run the 100km two weeks before, I wasn't really sure what to expect from a 5km run. I wanted to use it as a bit of training and just to see where I was at.

I was aiming for 16m40 but am obviously not in that kind of shape at the moment. I came in around 17m03. I raced it fairly sensibly, well at least relative to the others at the front.

Two young kids went off like a shot as did two older guys. One of the older boys was dropped at 1k (we hit around 3m21 which is 16m45 pace). One of the younger lads had gained a 10-15 meter lead and it looked like that would continue so I didn't think I'd worry too much about him.

The two other runners I found myself with at that time seemed to be breathing very heavily since even before the 2km marker, they were dropped somewhere between 2 and 2.5km. The guy who had gone off the front hadn't increased his lead so I just focused on keeping with him. Hit 3km around 10m08 (which is just under 17m00 minute pace). So I had faded a little but felt strong (again it's all relative). Somehow around 3.5km I reeled in the leader and at this stage I wasn't breathing too heavily so I thought it was the right time to start pushing. Bring on 6 minutes of pain, and a half decent performance for a Saturday morning.

Quite nice to work my way through the field in this little run, and felt pretty in control of the race. Still pushed a bit too fast at the start, but so rarely do I run this distance that I just do not know my threshold for the distance and I think your performance on this distance is so sensitive to this. I look forward to the next one, but maybe I will aim for 16m55 and if I'm strong in the final km I might be abe to get closer to 16m50. Still not bad considering the over-distance work I've been doing.

No comments:

Post a Comment